Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Another Day in Paradise

It's Springtime in Phoenix, which means the orange blossoms are lightly scenting the air and it's just warm enough to wonder each day if you really should pull on those jeans. Not that I'm successfully doing much pulling on these days. As you may have guessed, I'm rapidly losing the war with my top jeans button. Fortunately, a girlfriend from church clued me in on a secret - using a hairband looped around the button and through the buttonhole to keep my pants secure. Genius! Maternity stores everywhere should be marketing that right next to the Belly Band. Keeps you from having to don the excess fabric of maternity wear before it's absolutely necessary. And anything that helps keep me cooler in the Phoenix sunshine is fine by me.

Yes, yes, you say - we all know how the expanding belly thing goes, but how are you doing? This is the most common question I receive right now, either from sympathetic moms who remember early pregnancy or from (somewhat) clueless non-parents who know nothing about being pregnant other than you're supposed to feel bad. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate how many people have been so caring the last several months. It's just that it sometimes feels like the whole conversation becomes centered around what I can and can't eat, when I'll finally start to feel like a "normal" person again, etc. This is why I was slow to tell people about the baby in the first place (and to start a blog, actually)...it's hard to dominate everyone's life with info just about me. But seeing as how you've logged into MY webpage, I guess that's OK with you. ^_^

In all seriousness, I am doing well, thank you for asking. Feeling a mostly normal appetite (if not an excessive one sometimes) and not too tired during the day. Having random mood swings, which usually involves tears...and maybe some wailing in the extreme moments. The basic tears are usually over sentimental type stuff (I can't make it through an episode of Biggest Loser without crying for joy over a weigh-in) and the sobbing fits are mostly over my fears, rational and irrational, about the future. Totally normal, I'm told. It's just hard sometimes to think about how much life will be changing in a mere six months. I'm so encouraged to spend time with my other young mother friends and hear about how much joy they find in caring for their children. It's difficult to imagine that for myself right now, but I take great comfort in knowing that J.Paul and I released the decision to begin a family to the Lord and He definitely has the best timing of all. Speaking of J.Paul, he has been a total wall of strength for me to lean on, good days and bad days, so if/when you see/talk to him, you should tell him he's awesome!

And with that, baby C and I wish you a good night!

Love in Christ ~ Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment